Freshly baked muffins are a wonderful way to start a special breakfast or brunch.
With the holiday season in full swing, cranberries are an ingredient that will be showcased in a number of different ways on both the sweet and savoury side.
These tart berries are delicious in baked goods and my recipe this weekend features them in a muffin along with lemon juice and zest.
Almonds get sprinkled on the muffins before baking along with a light dusting of sugar.
To save time, have your dry ingredients mixed the night before so that final assembly in the morning goes quicker.
CRANBERRY LEMON MUFFINS
2 cups (500ml) all-purpose flour
3 tsp. (15 ml) baking powder
1/2 tsp. (2 ml) salt
1 cup (250 ml) sugar
1/2 c. (125 ml) softened butter
1 cup (250 ml) milk
1 tbsp. (15 ml) lemon juice
1 tsp. (5 ml) lemon zest
1 cup (250 ml) fresh or frozen cranberries coarsely chopped
1/3 c. (75 ml) sliced almonds
sugar for dusting
1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
2. In another bowl, beat the sugar and butter until pale. Beat in eggs one at a time. Gradually add milk, and lemon juice.
3. Fold the dry ingredients into the moist ingredients until just combined. Fold in the cranberries.
4. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Sprinkle with almonds and sugar.
5. Bake at 375 F for 18- 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for about 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.